This delicious hidden vegetable lasagna is so easy to make and perfect to put in the freezer and heat it in the oven when you’re ready to eat it! This will be a go-to lasagna recipe for you! Your kids won’t even know that there are so many vegetables in it!
I’ll never forget my mom making a “veggie” lasagna when I was about twelve years old. I had grown up on Stouffer’s frozen lasagna and never had a homemade one – much less a vegetable lasagna. She found the recipe out of a magazine and decided to make it because it was healthy. An hour later we had lots of ricotta cheese stuffed with carrots, celery, sweet peas, and a bunch of other vegetables between lasagna noodles – no actual sauce.
Needless to say – I thought it was terrible. She still brags about how good it is. This is NOT that kind of recipe.
This recipe has carrots, celery, bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes – and a lot of it too, but the seasonings hide the taste of the vegetables so your kids won’t be picky and not eat them. Which is why I call it a hidden veggie lasagna.
It takes some time to make, but I promise it is so worth it. You also need to make sure you use low-fat cheese. It’s an easy way to lower the calories on this dish, but keep the same flavor.
Try it out and let me know what you think.
- 1 lb ground meat 93/7 ground meat
- 1 can tomato paste
- 6 each Tomatoes
- 3 cups shredded, low-fat Mexican blend cheese
- 1 container lasagna noodles
- 1 cup shredded carrots, finely chopped
- 1 each onion
- 1 each Green bell pepper
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 each bay leaves
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chop the carrots, onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Add the thyme, parsley, basil, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and sugar to the pot with the tomatoes. Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes stirring frequently.
- In a separate pan, add the ground meat. Season with salt and pepper while cooking. Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Drain the fat off and set to the side.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add a can of tomato paste to the pot with the tomatoes. Once combined, add 2 cups of water. Then add the cooked ground meat. Simmer on medium heat another 15 minutes.
- In another pot, cook 10 lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Place container in oven and bake for 25 minutes. Cut into 12 pieces.