I love Southwest salads! I order them from practically every restaurant I go to that offers one. There isn’t a time that I won’t get one if they have it. However, I’m sure most of you know that salads are cheap when you get them from a restaurant, but they ARE moderately priced when you make them yourself. This salad recipe makes 4 servings, so you can serve your entire family from this one recipe. I hope you enjoy this recipe and use it as often as my family has!
From grilled chicken, black beans, corn, and pico de gallo, this salad has the flavor you'd expect with a Southwest Salad. This recipe works best with romaine lettuce that you chop yourself, but if you'd like to use bagged romaine lettuce, that works too. I also used the frozen fajita chicken in this recipe.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup corn, steamed
- 1 cup blackbeans
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup tortilla strips
- 1 cup grilled chicken, sliced
- Steam corn on stove-top for 10 minutes or until done. (You can also purchase the steam-able frozen bags of corn and simply place it in the microwave for the recommended time.) Another option here is to buy frozen corn and steam it in the microwave with a tbsp of water for about 7 minutes. Personally, I buy a big bag of frozen corn and steam it on the stove-top.
- Cook black beans on stove top for roughly 10 minutes or until done.
- Use fajita frozen sliced chicken and cook according to package instructions. You need 1 cup of this.
- Chop the romaine lettuce stalks starting at the leafy end and work your way back to the stalk end. Place in big bowl.
- Measure out the tortilla strips, pico de gallo (purchase from store), and cheese, and add to the romaine lettuce.
- Add the cooked chicken, black beans, and corn to the salad. Mix together well.
- Measure out 1/4 cup of salsa and 1/4 cup of low fat ranch and mix together. Top salad with this dressing and mix well. Enjoy!
Share this Recipe